The Latest All-Nighter

So last night Denis and I made the conscious decision to NOT allow CootieBoy in our bed (again). Yes, he continues to wake up in the middle of the night to sleep with us. But last night I told Denis I absolutely DID NOT want us to give in and let him into our bed. CootieBoy went to bed around 8:45 p.m. after his bath. Denis and I went to bed early – around 11:15 p.m. – and at 1:15 a.m. CootieBoy was up and screaming at his doorway (we had the babygate up so he couldn’t leave his room). We let him cry and yell for a while and then I finally got up and went into his room. He did NOT want to lay in bed and screamed, kicked, pinched and basically pitched a major hissy fit. But I didn’t let him get out of the bed. He just lay there screaming for a good 30 minutes (with me sitting right next to him). I talked softly to him in between his yelling, but he refused to calm down. So I left the room. He continued to scream and yell, and Denis eventually got up and went in. CootieBoy calmed down when Denis laid on the floor next to CootieBoy’s bed, but the minute Denis got up to leave CootieBoy would start screaming and crying again. But Denis stuck to his guns and after a few moments he left the room. And the screaming continued. At 2:50 a.m. Denis gave up trying to sleep in our room, and opted to go down to the couch to try and grab some shut-eye. I went back into CootieBoy’s room and you could tell he was exhausted – after all, he’d been screaming and crying for 90 minutes straight at that point. I turned on his radio to some classical music and at 3:05 a.m. he suddenly stopped crying and GRINNED at me. It was surreal. He just stopped crying, let out a chuckle and a grin, and flopped down on his pillow. He let me put the blanket on him, and within a couple minutes he was in a deep sleep. I went back to my room and passed out, but at 3:45 a.m. I was up again because CootieBoy was up again. And screaming like it was square one. I let him cry for a long while and then at about 4:00 a.m. I went back in and got him settled. He finally passed out around 4:30 a.m. and stayed asleep until this morning. Now, this morning he was MISERABLE – and justifiably so because he’d had such a bad night. His face was covered in little scratch marks and dots of dried blood from where he had scratched at himself. His eyes were puffy from crying all night. And his disposition was From Hell since he was exhausted. My comment to Denis as we left the house (CootieBoy didn’t stop crying the entire time we got ready this morning) was, “I’m so glad that daycare has to deal with him today instead of us.” I was tempted to stay home with him if only because I could have cuddled with him on the sofa and catnapped and given him lots of hugs and kisses to make him feel better. But I’m taking next Wednesday off as a vacation day so I knew I had to be at work today. I’m not looking forward to tonight at all – it’ll be another battle, and he’ll be more determined than ever to win it. And yes, CootieGirl slept through the whole thing and woke up as chipper as ever this morning.


  1. I’d gladly invite Nanny Jo into our house to put D back into bed every five minutes during the middle of the night. Bring her on.

  2. I don’t know what Nanny Jo would do, but Denis and I have decided to move CootieBoy’s toddler bed into our room and let him sleep in the room with us but NOT in our bed. Uncle Bill sent me an email wondering if he’s having nightmares due to the abrupt changes in his life, and it’s possible – so hopefully this will help alleviate any emotional problems CootieBoy may be suffering due to the many changes he has been going through over the past four months.

  3. Marmie

    Yeah, I thought that maybe he is having nightmares. Sorry that I was in fixit mode earlier. I am so sorry that you are going through this, especially since you have to go to work. Don’t know how you do it., frankly. You’re super woman.

Comments are closed.